Sunday, February 17, 2013

Going freelance as a teacher

So here I am, going freelance as teacher. I'm leaving Class over the next few days / weeks and going my own way in the teaching market here in Bratislava.

This is exactly what I'll be doing every day from now on...honest ;-)

I'm sure that a big question for friends and students revolves around why I'm leaving. Let's me say one thing first of all. I think Class was and still is a great school to learn at, I've enjoyed teaching my students and I am not leaving for reasons of dissatisfaction with the method or ideas. For anyone who wants kids or adults lessons, I do and will continue to recommend that people go and see the teachers at Class and have fun learning. There are great teachers at Class and I would and do recommend them to students.

However, it's time for me to spread my wings and try some things on my own. I've learned a lot at Class but unfortunately due to work availability factors and some other issues it was time to leave. It's a shame we couldn't negotiate a different outcome as I like the school and students a lot, but I'm excited to be my own boss and to see what I can manage as a freelance teacher.


So how am I feeling at the moment?

Mostly excited and a little bit nervous. 

I think that's probably a good mix of feelings for this situation and for the things I'm going to be facing. I've got a lot of organisation of lessons and timetables to do but it's looking very interesting, promising and profitable all in all. 

So far I'll be using a three pronged approach. I will be:

 - working part time for Berlitz, a very big and successful language school. This is a great way to set down a base level of lessons, develop my teaching skills by going back to basics in a very well thought out teaching method, have a lot of support from my employer, have access to really nice teaching materials and books, gain globally recognised CV experience and, with a bit of luck, become a certified Berlitz teacher so I can take my skills to other countries if I want to.

 - working with agencies (primarily business English) to get involved with teaching at different companies in the city and explore alternative methods and approaches to lessons. This will bring a lot of freedom and creativity to my working life where the onus will be on my to deliver top quality. 

- working directly with companies or individuals to teach different aspects of English. This is the most lucrative of the three options but also the most challenging in many ways as it's completely on me to find out how to make my clients the happiest with what I offer. 



More posts to follow talking about what is so exciting about my life at the moment.

Pete :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment