Monday, April 30, 2012

Homestead farm or just a home farm?

It's been a long weekend here in Slovakia because of a public holiday tomorrow. Since many people took today off as well to get four days it gives us teachers a break. Not the best for the bank account perhaps but nice to have a chance to relax.

I spent the weekend in southern Slovakia in the village of Muzla. It was really great to have some proper summer weather of 25-30C (which has continued in Bratislava too). We went to a memorial on Friday (my first Catholic ceremony I think) and then spent time with the family having mixed conversations in Slovak, Hungarian and English, all the while enjoying copious homemade wine and the energetic attention/attacks of the little kids. We spent most of Saturday afternoon outside with hammers and fingertips cracking walnuts, hazelnuts and some almonds All of them were collected from the garden trees or from the treesaround the village. We are also loaded down with other fruits and vegetables from the garden that we can take back to Bratislava and enjoy.

Yours truly about to get down to work on the walnuts.





Hurry up with the walnuts, there are lots of hazelnuts that need to be shelled as well





Fresh garden vegetables ready to come back to Bratislava with us.





Frozen berries from last year destined to be part of refreshing smoothies.




Nuts and mint.




To me it marks a stark contrast to another 'close to nature' experience that I had while I was living in America. I used to live in Maryland and went with people I knew at the time to a great place - Homestead farm, Md. It is a great day out for the family and you can buy or pick great fresh produce through most seasons. I enjoyed going there and by no means do I mean to belittle it in this post.

Here I am looking youthful in America.


What struck me is just how far many of us in the UK and US (to pick the countries I have lived in for a longer time) are from the source of our food. My girlfriend's family were surprised that such a commonplace activity for them is considered a day out by many in the area of Homestead farm, Md. To them, gardening, harvesting, peeling, drying, preserving and pickling are just normal parts of life and to make them a day out sounds as strange as having a day out at Starbucks might seem to those in a big city. 

Now before it seems that this is some idyllic praise of the village life, I must point out that a lot of the people down here farm and grow because they must. Unemployment is fairly low in Bratislava but outside the city there are a lot of people with limited income. Just as an example, where I can charge 20 Euros for an hour of teaching in Bratislava, here you could expect about 5 Euros max. Compare that to Bethesda, Md where I lived for a while and still recall my ex pointing out a lady wearing about ten carats of diamonds in her wedding and engagement rings. There is no doubt that in such an affluent neighbourhood people can take things like Homestead Farm, Md as a fun diversion or day out. 

I can't say, however, that I felt entirely at home in that area with some of the people who lived there. Those I knew personally were very welcoming and ordinary people, albeit often at the top of their respective professions and earning power, but from observing some of the gargantuan houses that are quite prevalent there I felt out of place. Perhaps it was a symptom of the simpler life feelings I have (An example here)but I feel much more at home now. I would support this as one of the reasons why living in Slovakia is like a welcome trip to the past and makes you feel more in touch with the natural world. For more reading, have a peek at this wonderful article which asks: 'Is Slovakia stuck in the 1950s? 13 examples of how it is.

The garden starting to bloom. I can't wait to enjoy the results in the future.

I'll leave it here by urging those of you in the US to visit places like Homestead Farm, Md or other such places. It's a great day out that you can enjoy with families and friends. For those of you who live with greater access to the natural surroundings, take advantage of them and enjoy the outdoors.

Best wishes,

Pete

5 comments:

  1. What a neat weekend. We have friends in Modra, whose home is basically a source of food too and MAN the cooking was amazing. I really think we've lost so much when it comes to our ties to nature...glad to know that there a places in the world like your girlfriend's family home...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim.

    It's great to get down in the countryside and really get down in the earth too. That's definitely one thing that stands out to me about living here in Slovakia. It's good to have those contacts. Of course, you need contacts in the ritzy part of town too so you can enjoy the other side of life :-)

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are there shoes in the red bucket? Hope you don't put them in a goulash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that would come up. Edina's mother put them in to soak since they got muddy working in the garden. Edina was sure somebody would point them out and she wanted me to assure you that it was a poor choice of location by the photographer, not that they flavour their foods with shoes :-)

    They're Hungarian after all....mmmm paprika :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoes could add that certain earthy je-ne-sais-quoi to any hungarian meal...

    ReplyDelete