Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reduce, re-use, recycle

Until I started teaching full time I never truly realised all of the work that goes on behind the scenes in order to make a (good) lesson happen. I knew that teachers needed to prepare the lessons that they were teaching and I got a little experience of it when I was on my CELTA course but when the full time work hits....it's a bit different to say the least.

I teach about 19 hours a week for my school and have a couple of private students who have lessons as and when our schedules allow. We'll call it an average of 20 hours of teachin a week. Each of those lessons needs to be prepared and planned. Preparation time for a lesson varies quite a lot depending on what material you are using. The actual structuring of the lesson takes perhaps half an hour as you figure out the stages of teaching the subject or grammar point that you're covering. This is fairly easy to break into chunks as you deal with introducing the material, getting the students to use it in positive and negative sentences (e.g. I like football/I don't like football), then move on to question forms and more independent use, perhaps in a conversational setting or game.

What can really take up your time and make the job a lot harder is the preparation of the associated teaching material. This can include creating exercises, board games, flashcards, picture cards, finding writing extracts, making sure you have the recordings ready for a listening exercise etc etc. This is where lessons can suck up your time and make you feel like you're buried in paperwork. I try to make a dent in everything on Friday so I can have the weekend off but I often have to pop into Class at least for a little bit to finalise things.

My 'friend' paperwork. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways ;-)



Now there are very good reasons to do all of the work associated with planning lessons. It's true that you can go into a lesson with nothing more than yourself, some pens and paper/whiteboard and teach a great lesson, but it's not easy. You have to be on top of absolutely everything that can come up, be ready with great examples to teach vocabulary or clear up points, have a perfect sense of reading your students' comfort and be able to time things so you finish at the end of the lesson having nicely cleared up all of the points you taught. I've done it once or twice (as has, I'm sure, every teacher), but it's a lot more stressful than when you have things planned and ready ahead of time.

So how do you go about reducing the time you need to spend on preparing lessons to a more manageable figure, especially with a full schedule and wanting to fit some kind of social life in there?



By stealing the oft-repeated environmentally targeted slogan for use as a teacher. You save time, and sometimes your sanity, by reducing, re-using and recycling your material.

It was suggested at that start by other teachers that I will benefit a lot by recycling and re-using lesson materials. It's amazing to find out how much variety can be created by using the exact same set of materials for different levels and subjects.

Let's look at an example that I actually used in several lessons. It was a set of flashcards with pictures of people doing activities (jobs and hobbies). I used this set to teach five tenses: Present continuous (He is dancing, they are cooking etc.), Present simple (he dances, they cook), past simple and continuous ("Yesterday?" "Aha, they were dancing) and present perfect (this week they have danced three times).

Of course I varied the activities using the cards from simple memory games for the lower levels up to more complex question forming and expanded sentences for the higher levels. One game that stands out in my mind is Pexeso, or memory pairs. You have two sets of the same cards, put them face down in two groups and then the students must match pairs. It can be very simple: Turn card 1 - "He is dancing." Card 2 - "He is not dancing. He is running." to make pairs or you can scale it up for questions. One student I teach in a 1 on 1 setting played this game with me using present perfect where he had to supply the appropriate time phrases to make it work e.g. Card 1 - "He has danced twice this week already. Has this person (card 2) danced this week too?" Card 2 - "No they haven't danced, they have eaten this morning though."

Sometimes it's a bit more complicated than that but I can't deny that following the old environmental credo is very helpful for my current career. It also fits nicely into the sharing ethic of Class and you will always find teachers swapping material, lesson plans, ideas and tips in the staff room (in between running to and from lessons of course).

All the best for the holiday season.

Pete :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pete, How are you enjoying the christmas atmosphere in Blava? It was my favorite time of year...

    Look into finding some paperless lessons. I was constantly on the look out for them. One thing I used to do was get a bag of random but interesting objects. At times I would use them to teach words, other times I would use them as an activity. Pick up an object and write a story about it. Pick an object in secret, and describe it to your classmates and have them guess what it is...or you can twenty questions with an object...so many possibilities and a good thing you can just whip out of your rucksack when you need to fill up 15 minutes of unplanned time. I had a plastic soldier, an old watch, a set of keys, an old journal, and a postcard among a bunch of other things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim,

    I'm certainly doing my best to find the lessons with minimal paperwork that still give maximum benefit for the students. Those are some great ideas you've got there and I'll definitely try it out with some groups.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete